The desktop enables using graphical applications on a Puhti compute node.
The desktop can be launched as:
Xfcedesktop, where one or several applications can be started. The applications mentioned below have been tested to work. Also other graphical tools available in Puhti could work.
- Single application, currently are supported: COMSOL, Grace, GRASS GIS, Maestro, MATLAB, ParaView, QGIS, SAGA GIS, SNAP, Visit and VMD.
At the moment, only CPU rendering is supported in the graphical applications.
Desktoppage under Apps
- Specify the needed resources. Desktop is run as batch job as anything else in Puhti, so the required resources need to be defined before launching the desktop. The recommended partiotion is interactive, so that the job could start as soon as possible, but if more resources are needed also other partitions are available.
- Select Desktop
Xfceor 'None'. Use 'None', if starting single application.
There are two options for connecting to the remote desktop:
- With web-browser. The noVNC Connection tab can be used to connect to the remote desktop using a web browser by selecting wanted compression and quality and then clicking
Launch Desktop. Using the browser to connect is recommended for most users.
- With VNC client. For better performance you can use a native VNC client, such as RealVNC or TigerVNC. Instructions for native VNC clients can be found in the Native instructions tab. This requires installing the VNC client on your local machine.
Using the desktop
The applications mentioned above have a direct shortcuts on desktop.
For starting any other software available in Puhti:
- Open terminal
- Start the software as described in Applications section, usually
module load XXand
(The applications menu in desktop does not include Puhti scientific applications, just basic Linux tools.)
The desktop environment, terminal and apps launched in it are running inside a Singularity container, which means that some programs may behave differently or not work at all.